AdventHealth Apopka is a seven-story, 120-bed hospital offering an extensive range of services including expanded surgical services, advanced surgical suites and a catheterization lab. The hospital also features a 30,000-square-foot emergency department with pediatric-friendly beds, imaging services, a full-service cafeteria, chapel, gift shop and on-site fire station. The hospital opened in December 2017, replacing the 50-bed hospital that AdventHealth had operated in downtown Apopka for more than four decades.
Opening in December AdventHealth Apopka’s Surgical and Endoscopy Services will offer out-patient procedures in three suites supported by Pre-Admission Testing, Pre-operative and Recovery Areas. Our facility provides the latest minimally invasive equipment to allow our patients to have their procedure and recover in the comfortable surroundings of their own home, all in the same day. We support procedures for multiple specialties and pediatrics age 6 months or older. Our team of experienced Board Certified Anesthesiologists and certified Nurse Anesthetists, along with our highly-skilled Registered Nurses, provide confidence and exceptional care to our patients.
Days and hours may vary
The Central Service Technician is an entry level position with a planned advancement requirement to Certified Central Service Technician, CCST. The employee must successfully complete a Florida Hospital or other nationally recognized training program during the first year of employment. Under supervision of the CS Supervisor / Manager or Nurse Manager, the Central Service Technician will provide thoroughly cleaned, disinfected and / or sterilized instrument trays and equipment. Trays will be accurately assembled according to the established tray list. Works with customers to maintain adequate inventory of trays and to prioritize processing of trays as needed. Maintains specialty carts and other supplies and equipment per department specific guidelines. Responsible for use of all decontamination and sterilization equipment, can troubleshoot minor issues. Depending on department, may manage inventory and supply items for patient care areas. Actively participates in outstanding customer service and accepts responsibility in maintaining relationships that are equally respectful to all.
Knowledge, Skills, Education, & Experience Required:
- Ability to communicate by reading, writing legibly, speaking and comprehending English effectively in order to carry out job requirements.
- Ability to understand the needs of the customer and respond to them in a pro-active, courteous, professional, and efficient manner. (Preferred)
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to change. (Preferred)
- Ability to work under stress and deadlines. (Preferred)
- Medical terminology (Preferred)
- High school diploma or equivalent (Preferred)
- One year of experience in an acute care hospital setting (Preferred)
- Experience in sterile processing and materials management (Preferred)
Demonstrates through behavior AdventHealth’s Core Values of Keep Me Safe, Love Me, Make it Easy, and Own it as outlined in the organization’s Performance Excellence Program.
- Rotates assignments among various areas within the department functions including but not limited to: decontamination, surgical and other tray assembly sterilization processes, and management of supplies and equipment.
- Properly identifies and segregates reusable items for decontamination, disinfection, and sterilization. Selects proper cleaning methods for pre-cleaning and cleaning instrumentation, power tools and equipment sent to Central Service based upon manufacturer’ instructions for use. Disassembles and inspects items for damage or missing components. Correctly and safely operates all equipment in the decontamination area ensuring that all standards for personal protective equipment and prevention of body fluid exposure are adhered to at all times.
- Accurately assembles instruments, complex instrument sets, and other surgical items by selecting the appropriate items, trays and instruments and records information in computer monitoring system or paper instrument count sheet.
- Selects appropriate materials and sterilization packaging for each instrument set. Aware of aseptic technique and proper wrapping of instrument trays to allow the end user to open product in an aseptic manner and produces a compact, logically arranged package which is within the proper weight limits appropriate for assured sterilization.
- Ensures appropriate sterility indicators and lot stickers are present on all instrument sets and packages.
- Operates complex sterilization equipment, selects the correct method of sterilization based upon manufacturers’ instructions for use (IFU).
- Ensures all parameters for sterilization are met by reviewing and signing all sterilizer recording charts to verify the proper sterilization time, temperature, pressure, humidity and sterilant exposure. Prior to releasing items for clinical use ensures that all required biological testing has been completed.
- Monitors sterilizer printouts and maintains records. Documents all requirements in appropriate log book and/ or computer system Utilizes recall process for sterilization failures. Notifies supervisor or manager of positive result.
- Utilizes knowledge of the sterile processing environmental controls. Reports out of range temps and humidity to engineering. Alternates between a contaminated environment and a clean environment utilizing appropriate infection prevention measures and correct use of PPE.
- Communicates effectively with all hospital departments and with others within the department. Uses the chain of command as necessary to resolve issues.
- Maintains knowledge base by attending in-services and department meetings.
If you want to be a part of a team that is dedicated to delivering the highest quality in patient care, we invite you to explore the Central Service Technician opportunity with AdventHealth Apopka and apply online today.
Central Service Technician, Uncertified, Surgical Services, Apopka