Prototype Lab Intern – Institute for Surgical Advancement (ISA) – Orlando
AdventHealth Orlando seeks to hire a Prototype Lab Intern who will embrace our mission to extend the healing ministry of Christ.
Located on a lush tropical campus, our flagship hospital, 1,368-bed AdventHealth Orlando, serves as the major tertiary facility for much of the Southeast, the Caribbean and South America. AdventHealth Orlando houses one of the largest Emergency Departments and largest cardiac catheterization labs in the country. We are already one of the busiest hospitals in the nation, providing service excellence to more than 32,000 inpatients and 125,000 outpatients each year.
The Institute for Surgical Advancement is intended to provide a framework to accelerate innovation, promote safety and quality, and attract and retain world class physicians. The ISA fosters leading program development through the clinical vision of the physician thought-leader. In addition, the ISA enables research, training programs, innovation and industry collaboration by providing the infrastructure which leverages the use of existing and new resources. The ISA also provides administrative support and world class facilities including the InnovatOR Suite, AdventHealth Nicholson Center at Health Village, ISA Prototype Laboratory, and the Creation Conference Center.
8:00am – 5:00pm; Scheduled days varies
The Prototype Lab Intern has the opportunity to learn from hospital based engineers regarding medical device design and prototyping including 3D printing. In addition, they learn directly from surgeons in the operating room by observing various procedures and specialties. The term of the internship is a maximum of 9 months. Intern works within the Institute for Surgical Advancement (ISA) and utilizes theoretical and practical applications of engineering principles to find solutions to problems within healthcare. With oversight from ISA staff, performs engineering design and documentation including drawings, validation and testing. Projects are assigned by ISA and support the work of physicians or an external collaborative partner. Adherence is required to the Florida Hospital Corporate Compliance Plan and to all the rules and regulations of all applicable local, state and federal agencies and accrediting bodies. Actively participates in outstanding customer service and accepts responsibility in maintaining relationships that are equally respectful to all.
Knowledge, Skills, Education, & Experience Required:
- Verbal communication, organizational, problem-solving, and customer service skills
- Flexibility and willingness to adapt to changes as necessary
- Ability to interact constructively with supervisors, peers, and external customers
- Ability to follow direction from formal management employees and informal supervisors (Engineer Specialists) and at times, to work well without direct supervision
- Ability to keep accurate and complete records
- Knowledge of engineering terminology
- Basic computer skills including Microsoft Office programs
- Reading and writing competency comparable to a college level
- Knowledge of SolidWorks 3D CAD software or similar (Preferred)
- Knowledge of medical terminology and basic anatomy (Preferred)
- Expertise in Objet Studio software (Preferred)
- Expertise in Stratasys Connex Polyjet technology (Preferred)
- Active enrollment in an engineering program at a school or college of engineering
- Previous lab or engineering internship experience (Preferred)
- Experience with operating and maintaining a 3D printer (Preferred)
- Experience with materials testing such as on a Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM) (Preferred)
- Experience with design and manufacturing of medical devices (Preferred)
Licensure, Certification, or Registration Required:
Demonstrates through behavior AdventHealth’s Core Values of Keep Me Safe, Love Me, Make it Easy, and Own it as outlined in the organization’s Performance Excellence Program.
- Under the direction of the ISA staff, develops and maintains the skills necessary to be functional in all areas of the prototype lab. Consistently assists engineers in all engineering and lab functions as needed. Accurately responds to 3D printing requests, prepares models and/or parts for engineers to review/check, and delivers parts in a timely manner. Always obtains engineers approval before operating 3D printer, 3D scanner or other lab equipment.
- Assists the lab by performing all assigned responsibilities related to a new project including concept design, computer aided design and prototyping. Documents project progress, test results and customer feedback.
- Participates in surgical case observation of ISA physicians or other hospital staff. Adheres to all operating room (OR) policies related to case observation.
- Summarizes work in white papers as directed to communicate results of a specific project.
- Supports the department in organizing, planning, and hosting conferences, courses, symposia or labs on an as-needed basis.
- Finds work to be done when assigned tasks are completed and checks in with ISA staff to seek direction. Supports prototype lab process improvements and carries out special projects or assignments as directed.
- Facilitates design reviews both internally and with physicians accessing the lab. Asks appropriate questions and incorporates feedback into designs appropriately. Is sensitive to the perspective of the patient, caregiver, or health care colleague in all communications.
- Works effectively with all members of the team to ensure the best outcomes. Promotes cost-effective design and prototyping and actively participates in stewardship and material waste prevention initiatives.
- Works with, processes, and appropriately disposes of all waste materials, including all levels of hazardous waste, within the department. Appropriately uses Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) such as gloves and safety glasses.
- Participates in departmental meetings and departmental educational activities. Supports department advancement initiatives, projects, and stewardship initiatives led by colleagues and peers.
If you want to be a part of a team that is dedicated to delivering the highest quality in patient care, we invite you to explore the Prototype Lab Intern opportunity with AdventHealth Orlando and apply online today.
Prototype Lab Intern, Lab, Laboratory, ISA, Orlando